NEW DELHI, India: Industry sources have said that Air India is in talks with Airbus and Boeing for the possible purchase of up to 300 aircraft.
Some 70 percent of the new aircraft would be narrow body jets, and the remaining 30 percent would include wide bodies, according to sources quoted by The Economic Times.
"Air India is clearly reorganizing itself under the very able stewardship of the Tatas, and as such it is very natural that they contemplate an investment in new fleets, new airplanes, if only to regain more sovereignty, more market share, for an Indian carrier in the international market," said Airbus Chief Commercial Officer Christian Scherer, as quoted by The Economic Times.
Boeing is also expected to offer attractive pricing to Air India on its 737 MAX aircraft, particularly after the difficult past few years.
Air India has not upgraded its fleet in more than 15 years. In 2006, Air India purchased 68 wide body airplanes from Boeing and 43 narrow bodies from Airbus, totaling 111 aircraft.