Just like anything else in life, there are do's and don'ts when it comes to web design. In this article, we will discuss some of the most crucial ones. If you are planning on designing a website or if you are in the process of doing so, make sure to read this article first.
It is important to be aware of what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to web design, as it can make or break your website. Any website design agency worth their salt would agree on the following:
Do's of Web Design
- Do use whitespace effectively - Too much whitespace can make your website look empty and uninviting, but too little can make it appear cluttered and busy. Use whitespace to your advantage by using it to highlight important elements on your page.
- Do use fonts that are easy to read - When choosing fonts for your website, make sure they are easy to read. You want people to be able to understand your content, not struggle to decipher it.
- Do use images - Images can help break up text and add visual interest to your pages. Just make sure that the images you use are relevant and high-quality.
- Do make sure your website is responsive - In today's world, more and more people are accessing the internet from their mobile devices. If your website is not responsive, you could be missing out on a lot of traffic.
- Do focus on usability - Your website should be easy to use and navigate. If people can't figure out how to use your site, they will likely leave and never come back.
Don'ts of Web Design
- Don't use too much text - People have short attention spans and will likely not read large blocks of text on your website. Always make sure that your content is concise and to the point.
- Don't use Flash - Flash is outdated and can slow down your website. Avoid using it altogether.
- Don't neglect SEO - Search engine optimisation is important for getting your website seen by people who are searching for what you have to offer. Make sure to do your research and implement effective SEO strategies.
- Don't underestimate the power of typography - Choosing the right font can make or break your entire website.
- Don't forget about call-to-actions - A call-to-action (CTA) is a crucial element of any website. It should be clear, concise and easy to find.
- Don't overdo it with the pop-ups - Pop-ups can be annoying and intrusive. If you must use them, make sure they are relevant and non-obtrusive.
- Don't use generic photos - The photos you use on your website should be high-quality and relevant to your brand. Avoid using generic stock photos whenever possible.
- Don't forget about accessibility - Make sure your website can be accessed by everyone, including those with disabilities. Use alt text for images and clear, concise language throughout your site.
By following the do's and don'ts of web design, you can create a website that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional. Keep all of these in mind as you design your site, and you will be sure to create a winning website.